Getting Data In

How to parse out asterisk delimited format?

skirven
Communicator

Hi! I'm having a struggle trying to get Splunk to recognize a file that's in Asterisk Delimited Format. I have the props.conf set like this below, running on a Splunk 7.3.8 HF, sending the cooked data to a 8.1.72 Search Peer. Nothing I've tried will get the data to parse correctly. Everything I'm reading, this should work. I've opened a support case, but I'm going around in circles with them, so if anyone has any thought here, I would appreciate it!

[ sourcetype ]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
disabled=false
FIELD_DELIMITER=*
FIELD_NAMES=timestamp,.....
TRUNCATE=50000

Thanks,
Stephen 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skirven,

as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/admin/Propsconf to use the FIELD_DELIMITER, you have to set the INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS parameter, which kind of file are you using? a CSV?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

skirven
Communicator

Thanks. I did see that, and had tried that. The file is a log file, but in Asterisk Delimited Format. I'll test with INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=CSV and the FIELD_DELIMITER=* and see what happens.

Thanks.
Stephen

0 Karma

skirven
Communicator

That didn't work either. 😞

[ sourcetype ]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
disabled=false
FIELD_DELIMITER=*
FIELD_NAMES=timestamp,.....
TRUNCATE=50000
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=CSV
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...