Getting Data In

How to index historical and real-time data from a Cassandra database in Splunk?

p_gurav
Champion

Hi,

I have a Cassandra database. I want to index historical data as well as real time data that's coming to Cassandra into splunk. Is there any ODBC driver? Or any other way to do it? Could anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You should also be able to connect Splunk to Hive as shown here:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2015/02/25/splunk-db-connect-cloudera-hive-jdbc-connector/

And then, according to multiple pages, you can connect Hive to Cassandra:

http://planetcassandra.org/blog/hive-support-for-cassandra-cql3/

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is a Splunk ODBC driver, but it is for use with Microsoft Excel, Tableau Desktop, and MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop.

You can read about another method in this previous Answers posting and this interview/blog post.

Woodcock's question and suggestion seem worth considering, though!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I don't understand... You would like to take a DB that is designed for HUGE amounts of data and then not only send all of that data also into Splunk, but every change that is made to that data? If you are serious, contact your Splunk sales team, they will gladly send a team of PS engineers over to help you with POC!

p_gurav
Champion

The cassandra DB is currently part of the application. We are trying out splunk. If it works out, then Cassandra will be removed from the architecture.
On a temporary basis, we need a set up where we can run both.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

DEFINITELY call Splunk. I am positive they will help you for free just for the bragging rights for your rip-and-replace use-case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...