Getting Data In

How to index data ?

jigneshjsoni71

In Splunk, I am running a query in search bar and its returning results.

In reply to one of the question , I was replied "You need to index data first"

How can I index data ?
Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @jigneshjsoni71

Are you looking for the "Getting Data In" manual in Splunk documentation?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/Data/WhatSplunkcanmonitor

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @jigneshjsoni71

I just read through the previous questions you posted and you definitely need to go through the Search Tutorial before jumping into anything else at this point. Since no one on your team knows anything about Splunk, they are just going to have to wait until you get caught up to speed starting from the basics. Splunk is an awesome tool to use in any organization that deals with machine data, but it's not just some simple platform to master over night. There are great folks here that can help you (and want to help you), but you have to use the recommended resources first.

aweitzman
Motivator

Yes, having data in Splunk is the same thing as Splunk indexing the data. Two ways of saying the same thing.

Please read the documentation links listed above. While the Add Data button (which should be on the Settings/Data Inputs page) is one way of getting data into Splunk (also known as having Splunk index your data), there are many others.

0 Karma

jigneshjsoni71

Yes, this is first time I am working on Splunk

I am trying to understand, how can I index data.
Does not indexing of data happen by itself ? When I am running a query in search bar of Splunk, I am getting results. If data was indexed, would the results be any different ? How can I index data ?
When I go on Splunk web, I dont get "Add Data" link. Does it mean that Splunk UI is customized and "Add data" link is taken out ? If thats the case, how does data get indexed ?
Thanks

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

If this is your first time installing and running Splunk, I'd highly recommend going through the Search Tutorial first.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/SearchTutorial/WelcometotheSearchTutorial

There is tutorial data available for download in this documentation to help get you familiarized as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...