Getting Data In

How to forward an event of a certain source?

dbiguene

Hello everyone

I work in a citrix service and I need to forward events for splunk enterprise
My forwarder is on a citrix server and my indexer on a other VM, i create an input file (forwarder side) with this line :
[WinEventLog://Application] to collect the events, that works, but i need only the citrix events.
I can see the event with the EventViewer and their is a "source" field (that contains for example "Citrix File Management" , "WMsecurity" etc...)
Is it possible to collect only the events with a certain source value?

Something like :

[WinEventLog://Application]
source = Citrix File Managament

(I tried, it doesn't work)

If not is there another way to do that?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Have a look at this: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/inputsconf#Event_Log_whitelist_and_blacklis...

It mentions "SourceName" as one of the keys by which you can whitelist / blacklist.

So that would then look like this in inputs.conf:

whitelist = SourceName=".*Citrix.*"
disabled = 0 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dbiguene

My bad, I did not see that I had to modify input.conf in deployment-app/my-index (indexer side) and not input.conf in forwarder side!
And you're right, I also forgot the quotes in my whitelist line
Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Have a look at this: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/inputsconf#Event_Log_whitelist_and_blacklis...

It mentions "SourceName" as one of the keys by which you can whitelist / blacklist.

So that would then look like this in inputs.conf:

whitelist = SourceName=".*Citrix.*"
disabled = 0 
0 Karma

dbiguene

I tested your idea and an other way (whitelist), but no matter my input.conf/props.conf/transforms.conf, my forwarder collects all the [winEventLog]:System logs when I never write this line! so i have 500k system logs and 0 app log in my splunk indexer and I know that i have 500k app log with eventviewer , I don't understand 😕

input.conf :

whitelist = ^.*Citrix.*$
disabled = 0 
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi dbiguene
I don't know Citrix logs, so could you share an example?
Anyway you could identify a regex in Citrix and then filter them before indexing (see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad ).

e.g. if in your logs you have the string source = Citrix File Managament
you could configure your filter in the following way:
in props.conf

TRANSFORMS-filter_citrix= setnull,set_filter_citrix

in transforms.conf

[setnull]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[set_filter_citrix]
REGEX = source\s\=\sCitrix\sFile\sManagament
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

Beware to the stanzas order in props.conf, instead order isn't important in transforms.conf.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

dbiguene

ok thanks, i will test that monday

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...