Getting Data In

How to fix date format to extracted eval field?

pp3295
Explorer
index="indnewwrapper" | search rfq_id:
| join [ search index="indnewwrapper" | search rfq_id:
| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete=if(like(_raw,"%validateEmailMessage()%"), sent_date,"1900-01-01 12:00:00.000") ]
| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete1=strftime(strftime(validateEmailMessagecomplete,"%A %B %d %Y %I:%M:%S %p %Z"),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| table pRFQ_Id,validateEmailMessagecomplete,validateEmailMessagecomplete1

I am finding a string in a search and extracting a validateEmailMessagecomplete date. using like function.

i am getting desired output but i am not able to change to datetime format validateEmailMessagecomplete1 it shows blank value

pp3295_0-1660123000436.png

i searched various post on the forum. but did not found desired solution.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

pp3295
Explorer

thanks bhai ( bro ), its working. showing values

pp3295_0-1660132013776.png

I am new to splunk, learning from this forum and youtube. do you know any good channels for splunk learning.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

pp3295
Explorer

checked by your way. still now luck. But thanks for your support.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Epoch dates run from 1970 not 1900 - try this

| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete=if(like(_raw,"%validateEmailMessage()%"), sent_date,"1970-01-01 00:00:00.000")

Having said that, what is it you are trying to achieve with the join command? Perhaps there is another way to approach it

0 Karma

pp3295
Explorer

pp3295_0-1660126678795.png

index="indnewwrapper" | search rfq_id:
| join [ search index="indnewwrapper" | search rfq_id:
| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete=if(like(_raw,"%validateEmailMessage()%"), sent_date,"1980-01-01 12:00:00.000") ]
| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete1=strptime(validateEmailMessagecomplete,"%A %B %d %Y %I:%M:%S %p %Z")
| table pRFQ_Id,validateEmailMessagecomplete,validateEmailMessagecomplete1

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK, assuming the sent_date matches the format string you are using, the string you are using if validateEmailMessage doesn't exist in _raw should match this format. Try it this way

| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete=if(like(_raw,"%validateEmailMessage()%"), sent_date,"Thursday January 01 1970 01:00:00 AM BST") ]
0 Karma

pp3295
Explorer

thanks for your reply. i think problem is

pp3295_0-1660129519953.png

when i individually use table sent_date , i found blank rows. because of this solution is not working. can we omit blank rows .

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK The time formats have to match the format being used.

| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete=if(like(_raw,"%validateEmailMessage()%"), sent_date,"1970-01-01 00:00:00.000") ]
| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete1=strptime(validateEmailMessagecomplete,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")
0 Karma

pp3295
Explorer

thanks bhai ( bro ), its working. showing values

pp3295_0-1660132013776.png

I am new to splunk, learning from this forum and youtube. do you know any good channels for splunk learning.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hard to say what is good - it depends on your learning style - there are tutorials, and courses, there are presentations from .conf and BSides, there are example dashboards and other apps in splunkbase, and then there's just trying stuff out in a sandbox environment just to see what it does.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are using strftime twice, you need to use strptime for the inner function to parse the string into an epoch time before formatting it

| eval validateEmailMessagecomplete1=strftime(strptime(validateEmailMessagecomplete,"%A %B %d %Y %I:%M:%S %p %Z"),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...