Getting Data In

How to find the path for an unknown data source that is sending data to Splunk?

darknetone
Explorer

How can I tell where data is coming from? I have inherited an old Splunk 5.0.1 Enterprise Infrastructure. I can see data on the Splunk head for a specific (IP) server, however, this data is coming into _main. I got on the Windows box where this data is coming from and I could not see a universal forwarder or syslog implementation despite much searching. I do not know how the data is coming into Splunk, which is a problem since I need the data to go into a different index. This leaves me asking, how is the data coming in? Is there a way to trace events all the way back to the origination point AND know what the path that the data took? I there a way to know what process originated the data on the machine?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd check a few things:

• timestamps on the events - maybe they're old and you're chasing ghosts?
  • host and source of the events
  • receiving enabled on the indexer
  • search index=_internal source=*metrics.log* group=tcpin_connections for info around incoming forwarder connections
  • inputs enabled on the indexer
  • if source and inputs don't line up, check for props.conf/transforms.conf rewrites (TRANSFORMS-foo in props.conf)
  • search index=_internal source=*metrics.log* thruput for clues where the indexer thinks it has throughput
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...