Getting Data In

How to find lost logs from universal forwarder?

ozirus
Path Finder

Hi,

I've a universal forwarder on a Linux machine that forwards Security Onion logs to my Splunk instance.

Logs are coming to network interface via port 9998 (checked tcpdump), When I try to search with;

index=_internal metrics kb group=per_sourcetype_thruput | eval sizeMB = round(kb/1024,2)| stats sum(sizeMB) by series | sort -sum(sizeMB) | rename sum(sizeMB) AS "Size on Disk (MB)" 

It shows source names etc. and logs are coming to my instance but when I try to see the logs, I can't find the logs. They're being saved somewhere but I can't figure out the search to see them.

How can i do this?

Regards,

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could have a timestamp problem. Try searching All Time to see if Splunk is logging the events in the future.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could have a timestamp problem. Try searching All Time to see if Splunk is logging the events in the future.

---

ozirus
Path Finder

Thanks! It was.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please accept the answer.

---
0 Karma

ozirus
Path Finder

It wasn't available yesterday. Now it is accepted i guess. Thanks again!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...