Getting Data In

How to filter out Windows events logs based on words?

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm trying to filter out specific windows event log that's Id=0 😞

This is the event:

ERROR 2015-07-12 13:11:31,270 There is no security-data for the current context.. Occured in method:"Register", in process:"w3wp"

Stack trace:

at iFOREX.Security.Context.SecurityDataProvider.AssertExists() in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\iFOREX.Security\iFOREX.Security\Context\SecurityDataProvider.cs:line 26
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Classes.AppGlobal.get_SecurityToken() in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\BaseClasses\AppGlobal.cs:line 212
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Common.Utils.SecurityHelper.CheckSecurity(String checkSecurityParam, HttpSessionState session) in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\Common\Utils\SecurityHelper.cs:line 55
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Common.Utils.SecurityHelper.CheckSecurity(HttpContext context) in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\Common\Utils\SecurityHelper.cs:line 42
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Handlers.ClientState.OnProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\Handlers\ClientState\ClientState.ashx.cs:line 64

What I tried:

props.conf:

[WMI:Applications]
TRANSFORMS-wmi=wminull1

transforms.conf:

[wminull1]
REGEX = There is no security-data for the current context
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

But I can't seem to make it work and have Splunk not index this event.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
The issue was solved by using the following regex:
REGEX = (?ms)There is no security-data for the current context

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
The issue was solved by using the following regex:
REGEX = (?ms)There is no security-data for the current context

Thanks for the help.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Ah, the text was split across multiple lines inside a multi-line event. That explains it.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My guess is that you have extra whitespace which you are not noticing; have you tested your RegEx against actual log messages? If you can't/won't, then try this and see if it works:

REGEX = There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context

Bad RegEx is the only thing that makes sense if you are certain that you have checked everything else already mentioned.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Does your original RegEx work in the search bar, too? Where exactly did you put your props.conf and transforms.conf files? Did you spell the filenames correctly?

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,

I haven't tried it with the original regex just with this one: There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context

So in the search line, if I enter: sourcetype="WMI:WinEventLog:Applications" | regex There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context

It seems to work and I do see the events

Now, want i want to filter them out and have Splunk not index them, i use:
Props.conf:
[WMI:WinEventLog:Applications]
TRANSFORMS-wmi = WinSecEvents-null

Transforms.conf:
[WinSecEvents-null]
REGEX = There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

And these doesn't seems to work. no matter what, Splunk keep indexing them and i See new entries.

thanks,

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
if I use the regex There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context on the search line it works but if not on the transforms.conf

Thanks,

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
if I use the regex There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context on the search line it works but if not on the transforms.conf

Thanks,

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure that...

• your sourcetype matches WMI:Applications exactly
  • you set this on the indexers or heavy forwarders
  • you restart the instances you set this on
  • there are no configuration errors during restart
  • you're looking at newly indexed data and not old data

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi Martin, Thanks for your reply.

I checked all you wrote and it's not the issue.

Am I using the right regex to filler out this event and have Splunk not index it?

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...