Getting Data In

How to filter out Windows events logs based on words?

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm trying to filter out specific windows event log that's Id=0 😞

This is the event:

ERROR 2015-07-12 13:11:31,270 There is no security-data for the current context.. Occured in method:"Register", in process:"w3wp"

Stack trace:

at iFOREX.Security.Context.SecurityDataProvider.AssertExists() in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\iFOREX.Security\iFOREX.Security\Context\SecurityDataProvider.cs:line 26
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Classes.AppGlobal.get_SecurityToken() in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\BaseClasses\AppGlobal.cs:line 212
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Common.Utils.SecurityHelper.CheckSecurity(String checkSecurityParam, HttpSessionState session) in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\Common\Utils\SecurityHelper.cs:line 55
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Common.Utils.SecurityHelper.CheckSecurity(HttpContext context) in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\Common\Utils\SecurityHelper.cs:line 42
   at iFOREX.Clients.Web.Handlers.ClientState.OnProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in d:\BuildAreas\RelFxnet3\FX3-81\Source\iFOREX Framework\IFOREX.Clients\iFOREX.Clients.Web\Handlers\ClientState\ClientState.ashx.cs:line 64

What I tried:

props.conf:

[WMI:Applications]
TRANSFORMS-wmi=wminull1

transforms.conf:

[wminull1]
REGEX = There is no security-data for the current context
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

But I can't seem to make it work and have Splunk not index this event.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
The issue was solved by using the following regex:
REGEX = (?ms)There is no security-data for the current context

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
The issue was solved by using the following regex:
REGEX = (?ms)There is no security-data for the current context

Thanks for the help.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Ah, the text was split across multiple lines inside a multi-line event. That explains it.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My guess is that you have extra whitespace which you are not noticing; have you tested your RegEx against actual log messages? If you can't/won't, then try this and see if it works:

REGEX = There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context

Bad RegEx is the only thing that makes sense if you are certain that you have checked everything else already mentioned.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Does your original RegEx work in the search bar, too? Where exactly did you put your props.conf and transforms.conf files? Did you spell the filenames correctly?

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,

I haven't tried it with the original regex just with this one: There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context

So in the search line, if I enter: sourcetype="WMI:WinEventLog:Applications" | regex There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context

It seems to work and I do see the events

Now, want i want to filter them out and have Splunk not index them, i use:
Props.conf:
[WMI:WinEventLog:Applications]
TRANSFORMS-wmi = WinSecEvents-null

Transforms.conf:
[WinSecEvents-null]
REGEX = There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

And these doesn't seems to work. no matter what, Splunk keep indexing them and i See new entries.

thanks,

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
if I use the regex There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context on the search line it works but if not on the transforms.conf

Thanks,

0 Karma

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi,
if I use the regex There\s+is\s+no\s+security\s*-\s*data\s+for\s+the\s+current\s+context on the search line it works but if not on the transforms.conf

Thanks,

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure that...

• your sourcetype matches WMI:Applications exactly
  • you set this on the indexers or heavy forwarders
  • you restart the instances you set this on
  • there are no configuration errors during restart
  • you're looking at newly indexed data and not old data

Rotema
Path Finder

Hi Martin, Thanks for your reply.

I checked all you wrote and it's not the issue.

Am I using the right regex to filler out this event and have Splunk not index it?

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...