Getting Data In

How to extract events from an input file ( xml format) that has no line breaks?

joechakkola1
Explorer

I have a log file that has contents similar to below. I would like the events separated based on the line break character. My props file has BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = and SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true but I continue to get the entire contents of the file as one event. Can you help me with splitting the contents of the below file into separate events using as the line break?

alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Your question is rather confusing. Your title states your data has no line breaks, yet you want us to help you break the data by linebreak?

It looks like your data is a bunch of "plane" objects? Do you want each plane in a single event? Then try this:

LINE_BREAKER = ()\<plane\>
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = FALSE

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Your question is rather confusing. Your title states your data has no line breaks, yet you want us to help you break the data by linebreak?

It looks like your data is a bunch of "plane" objects? Do you want each plane in a single event? Then try this:

LINE_BREAKER = ()\<plane\>
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = FALSE

joechakkola1
Explorer

Thanks i was able to break the lines with LINE_BREAKER =()\<plane\>. Agreed my title was misleading. what i was trying to convey is that my data does not have any return character at the end of each line. By using the line_breaker , i was able to break up the rather long line of data into individual events.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Great 🙂

I changed my comment to an answer, so that you can accept it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...