Getting Data In

How to configure props and transforms.conf to rename a dynamic set of field names at search-time?

goodsellt
Contributor

Hello!

I'm struggling to understand how I can use the transforms.conf stanza's to rename dynamic set of field names, ideally using the output of of a separate extraction (or just a regex which may be able to match it).

My problem more specifically is, I receive a series of events from a server which are key'd using the action being performed; the data looks like the following:

name=steve host=xxx download.doc_name=myfile.doc download.doc_id=12345 download.doc_owner=jeff

name=jeff host=yyy rename.new_doc_name=renamed.xls rename.old_doc_name=original.xls rename.doc_owner=jeff

and so on, essentially events have static metadata like the user performing the action, and information about the system they are on as regular key=value, however, when it comes to the action taken, anything relating to the action is stored as (action.key)=value.

What I'm looking for is a way to use the transforms and props stanzas to dynamically modify the fields so we can use them in searches as if they were like the following:

name=steve host=xxx action=download doc_name=myfile.doc doc_id=12345 doc_owner=jeff

name=jeff host=yyy action=rename new_doc_name=renamed.xls old_doc_name=original.xls doc_owner=jeff

I'm able to get the action= item easily enough, however, I can't seem to find any way to then strip the action & period from the front of the rest of the other key=value pairs. I'm unable to just do this statically, as there are far more actions, with each having potentially their own individual key=value pairs (such as new_doc_name & old_doc_name for rename actions).

Ideally I'd like to be able to use this transform with a few different sourcetypes which have similar formatting to this (but we keep separate based on some other factors).

Anyone with more experience know if doing something like I mentioned is possible? Please note that trying to change the data before it indexes into Splunk is not currently an option.

0 Karma
1 Solution

goodsellt
Contributor

Just wanted to say I was able to solve this by using multiple report stanzas:

props:

[sourcetype-ex]
Report-test = stanza1, stanza2

transforms:

[stanza1]
REGEX = (\w+)\\.action\=
FORMAT = action::$1

[stanza2]
REGEX = \w+\\.(\w+)\=(\"[^"]+\"|\S+)
FORMAT = $1::$2

View solution in original post

0 Karma

goodsellt
Contributor

Just wanted to say I was able to solve this by using multiple report stanzas:

props:

[sourcetype-ex]
Report-test = stanza1, stanza2

transforms:

[stanza1]
REGEX = (\w+)\\.action\=

[stanza2]
REGEX = \w+\\.(\w+)\=(\"[^"]+\"|\S+)
FORMAT = $1::$2
0 Karma

goodsellt
Contributor

I'm struggling understanding why the transforms.conf file seems to be rather ineffective compared with a pure EXTRACT in the props file:

my transform.conf stanza is:

[get_action]
    REGEX = (\w+)\.action\=    

inside props I have:

[custom_sourcetype]
...standard stuff...
REPORT-action = get_action

However it's only returning 5% coverage across my events.

If I just do inside props:

[custom_sourcetype]
....standard stuff...
EXTRACT-action = (?<action>\w+)\.action\=

I get 100% coverage in my events.

Can anyone explain this behavior?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Just add this to the end:

... | foreach *.* [ rename $<<FIELD>>$ AS "<<MATCHSEG2>>" ]

Or this:

... | foreach *.* [ eval  "<<MATCHSEG2>>"=$<<FIELD>>$]
0 Karma

goodsellt
Contributor

I'm looking to do this with the props & transforms fields, not with actual search commands, though thanks for the suggestions.

0 Karma

goodsellt
Contributor

I'd also like to point out I want to avoid just doing a regex which just matches everything after the period, as I'm worried that there may be instances where a legitimate period would appear in the key name or possibly in one of the values (such as IP address) and it would cause problems because of that.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming you've configuration to get key and value separated (means you're able to get new_doc_name=abc.xls old_doc_name=xyz.xls ), then (assuming action is same for all fields in the event) you could just extract action using a EXTRACT attribute in props.conf.

props.conf

[yoursourcetype]
EXTRACT-action = \s+(?<Action>[^\.]+)\S+=
0 Karma

goodsellt
Contributor

Thanks for this!

I do already have the Extract for the action, however my issue now lies with how can I then remove action from the front of the key=value pairs where it exists, and without breaking my original extract (not having to modify any of the _raw data).

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How many possible values of action you can have (just the action)?

0 Karma

goodsellt
Contributor

I'm not positive, it seems like there is around 16 or so but there may be actions which I have not seen yet due to their rarity, as well as any potential new actions which may be added into this data set from new sources.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yup, maintenance and accuracy will be an issue. If it was not, they you could have created (along with field extraction for action) a FIELDALIAS entries in props.conf for each possible action

[yoursourcetype]
FIELDALIAS-alias = download.* AS * rename.* AS * ....
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...