Getting Data In

How to configure Unix/AIX servers to forward administrative activity logs to Splunk?

rashid47010
Communicator

Hi Everyone,

We have some unix/aix servers, and we want to configure the servers to send the administrative activity logs to Splunk.

Can anybody help me to understand what kind of logs we require, or anyone have experience to advise on that?

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

HI everyone,

fortunately our AIX admin get the script. that script convert the multi line output into one line and save it into log file

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

hi cusello,

unfortunately I faced another problem related to the parsing of AIX audit logs into splunk. In aix servers, the logs are multi line.
for example a new user created the user created command in first line and the user name is in second line. how can we fix this issue.
and in splunk it ony shows the first line.

It is very critical to us.Please advice.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi rashid47010,

the best solution is to install Splunk_TA_nix App.

Otherwise you have to take:

• /var/log/secure
  • /var/log/messages
    inserting in your Forwarders' inputs.cong the following stanzas:

[monitor:///var/log/secure]
    disabled = 0
    index = os
    sourcetype = linux
    [monitor:///var/log/messages]
    disabled = 0
    index = os
    sourcetype = linux

You have to verify if on AIX there are additional logs that you have to take.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi rashid47010,
You can install a forwarder on the syslog server and so take logs in Splunk.
You could also use Splunk as syslog concentrator and directly send syslogs to Splunk using UDP or TPC protocols (see network inputs).
Every way the best solution it should be to install a forwarder on each server: In this way you have a more efficient and sure solution.
Efficient because transmission is optimized (bandwidth optimization, compression, ...), sure because forwarder caches logs in case of problems, using syslog you lose logs in case of problems (to not lose logs you should use a Load Balancer and two Splunk Servers as receivers).
So I suggest to you to use syslog only if you cannot use a Forwarder.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

hi cusello,

unfortunately I faced another problem related to the parsing of AIX audit logs into splunk. In aix servers, the logs are multi line.
for example a new user created the user created command in first line and the user name is in second line. how can we fix this issue.
and in splunk it ony shows the first line.

It is very critical to us.Please advice.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

did you tried to configure your props.con with SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true?
After this you could extract your field using (?ms) option in your REGEX.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

Hi Giuseppe

Thanks for your reply.
My concern is also that what AIX admin should configure on host to sent it to /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.

in our scenario, all servers are sending logs to one central syslog server.

I believe that in secure logs we are getting authentication logs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...