Getting Data In

How to change props.conf based on input/sourcetype

tbrown
Path Finder

I have a couple .txt files that I want to parse differently than the rest of my data coming in from my forwarders.

How could I change the props.conf (Or any other relevant config file) to parse through this specific sourcetype/input differently? (Ex. Turn off breaks before dates, etc.)

Additionally, would I be able to do this on a forwarder/deployment-app level, or would I have to do this all on the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local level on the main Splunk instance server.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Modify the inputs.conf file to have a separate stanza for those .txt files. In that stanza, put the appropriate sourcetype for the data.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

tbrown
Path Finder

@richgalloway  

I changed the sourcetype for these files in the inputs.conf. Now do I edit how these sourcetypes are parsed in props.conf or inputs.conf?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Sourcetype processing is controlled by props.conf files on the indexers (or HF, if you have one).
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...