Getting Data In

How to calculate difference between two time stamps

ken_lynch
Engager

Hi, I have seen a few post on this subject, but none seem to fix my issue. I am trying to calculate the difference between two date/time stamps. 

| eval CompleteDate=if(isnull(CompleteDate) OR len(CompleteDate)==0,strftime(now(),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S:%7Q"),CompleteeDate)
|eval Start = strptime(AwaitingResponseDate,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S:%7Q")
|eval End = strptime(CompleteDate,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S:%7Q")
|eval WaitTime = Start-End

The issue seems to be that the Start field is empty when i add it to a table, however, the End time works. The only difference between start and end is that end is being set by the eval/if statement for CompleteDate because all are null. Start/AwaitingResponseDate is an auto extracted field 

The date/time format is the same for each filed. This is an example of the AwaitingResponseDate value
2020-07-20 18:35:15.0000000
This is an example of the inserted CompleteDate field from the same record

2020-08-19 09:19:53:0000000

Any help is certainly appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

In your AwaitingResponseDate after second it is . (dot) not : (colon) 2020-07-20 18:35:15.0000000

So your query will be

| eval CompleteDate=if(isnull(CompleteDate) OR len(CompleteDate)==0,strftime(now(),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S:%7Q"),CompleteeDate)
|eval Start = strptime(AwaitingResponseDate,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%7Q")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

In your AwaitingResponseDate after second it is . (dot) not : (colon) 2020-07-20 18:35:15.0000000

So your query will be

|eval Start = strptime(AwaitingResponseDate,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%7Q")
0 Karma

ken_lynch
Engager

Thank you so much....it is the little things 🙂
Also helps if I use End-Start instead Start-End....

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...