Getting Data In

How to apply replicationblacklist for a particular app in distsearch.conf?

pavanae
Builder

On my replication bundle I have a whole list of unwanted files that exists from a particular App "XYZ" which are as shown below 

apps/XYZ/bin/suds/mx/typer.pyc
apps/XYZ/bin/suds/mx/encoded.py
apps/XYZ/bin/suds/mx/__init__.pyc
apps/XYZ/bin/suds/mx/literal.py
apps/XYZ/bin/suds/mx/__init__.py
apps/XYZ/bin/suds/options.py
apps/XYZ/bin/suds/sudsobject.py

Now, how can i apply replicationblacklist to anything that is under the APP "XYZ" ? 

distsearch.conf

[replicationBlacklist]

Labels (3)
0 Karma

youngsuh
Contributor

how do you validate that the setting is working?  do you use BTOOL?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

danielcj
Communicator

Hello,

Please, try that:

[replicationBlacklist]
block_suds_mx_files = apps/XYZ/bin/suds/mx/*.(py$|pyc$)
block_suds_files = apps/XYZ/bin/suds/*.(py$|pyc$)

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use [replicationDenylist] stanza instead, the above stanza you mentioned has been deprecated.

0 Karma

Senak
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hello @VatsalJagani ,

Can this work for shcluster when i have my app in etc/shcluster/app ? 

In other word can i blacklist an app located in etc/shcluster/app/?

It has to be done on the deployer right?

Thanks

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, it will work.

How:

• Replicate happens by the search head cluster captain.
  • Whatever you have under etc/shcluster/apps directory on the deployer will be moved to etc/apps directory on all the search heads including the captain.
  • Hence denylist should work as it would work on the standalone instance.

0 Karma

Senak
  • Ok great, so now , that conf has to be made in etc/shcluster/apps/<my_app>/local/distsearch.conf?
  • Next does that mean the files blacklisted are not going to be in the bundle send to the sh members so not updated but they will not be deleted right?
  • My last question, is it possible to tell splunk to not update a whole app , instead of blacklisting files. My challenge is that i have space issue on the deployer when deploying a new app.

Any ideas

Thanks

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Senak - Below are answers to your questions:

• yes.
  • Splunk indexers (peers) will gonna use the latest bundle only. Now whether to send a full bundle or bundle delta that's up to Splunk. And it's not gonna affect how your files should behave.
  • Can you please explain how size is affecting what you need to push from the deployer?

0 Karma

Senak

@VatsalJagani 

This is the error i am dealing with when trying to push a new app on my SH cluster. 

Error while creating deployable apps: Error compressing the temporary tarball: /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/deploy.1805b9b8294a5b90.tmp/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite.bundle: No space left on device

It seems like Splunk Enterprise bundle is too big. How can i reduce it size or even prevent splunk to create a bundle for it?

Kind regards

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would say create disk space on the deployer and SH for the bundle, that would be my advise.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...