Getting Data In

How do you troubleshoot missing windows event logs?

ABasit10
Observer

I have been noticing that some windows event logs are not appearing in the Splunk search. For example the event code for windows restart is 1074 but whenever I use the search string below, I do not get any results back within the specific time period. I know for a fact that the event codes are not blacklisted in the configuration files as I can view older logs for the same event code. When checking the logs in Event Viewer, I can also see the logs for the windows restart event. I am not sure why the event is logged sometimes but other times it isn't. This issue isn't exclusive to a particular windows event as I have noticed missing logs for other events as well.

Query: index=* host=DC* EventCode=1074

Help with troubleshooting the issue would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

jeremyfer
Explorer

Did you ever find a solution to this @ABasit10 ?
We have the exact same forwarder config on hundreds of other machines, and it's functioning fine. On one machine Splunk seems to be skipping lots of events, I'm looking specifically for 7001 (login), and its never there, but also even long after a login many events are missing. I can see in event viewer events A,B,C we might only get event B into Splunk.

E.g. Events in Event Viewer, only the highlighted ones are coming through.

jeremyfer_2-1597018157000.png

But we seem to be missing a large selection of Events.

jeremyfer_1-1597017964700.png

Related Forwarder Config

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
checkpointInterval = 10
index = wineventlog
renderXml=false

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

https://qiita.com/odorusatoshi/items/5a703b9befc253ab7deb

@jeremyfer 

this blog is japanese, but there is a lot of trouble shoot method.
please check this.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Do you have current_only=1 set on your windows forwarders?

This setting results in ONLY events generated while Splunk is running being sent.
This means that if you shutdown your host, any logs generated between the time the Splunk process stops and restarts will never be indexed.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

ABasit10
Observer

Thanks for the response. I have validated that current_only=0 is the value set on the forwarders. The strangest thing is that the event is sometimes logged and other time is isn't. For testing, i had manually restarted the host to see if the event code 1074 was being logged by Splunk. I wasn't able to find any event between for that time frame however, i saw a windows host restart event on a different day with a different time stamp.

I am not sure why some events for this particular event code (1074) are being logged and others aren't.

0 Karma

dillardo_2
Path Finder

Have you checked your buckets? If they are being frozen prematurely due to storage pressure, the data might have been deleted before retention policy expiry.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...