Getting Data In

How do you create a duplicate source type?

santosh_hb
Explorer

Hi All,

Need a quick help on creating duplicate source types in Splunk.

Currently, the data is flowing into index=test1 sourcetype=data1

Now, I would like to send the same data into another source type as well while keeping the original source type also.

So, the final result I am looking for is like below:

On Splunk Web, execute the search as below:

index=test1 

Then, I should be able to see 2 source types as sourcetype=data1 and sourcetype=data2 for the same index.

Thanks in advance,
Santosh

0 Karma

eagle4splunk
Explorer

You can use clone_sourcetype to clone your data into another sourcetype.

Your will need to configure your props.conf and transforms.conf to look something like this:

props.conf

[original_sourcetype]
parm1 = xxx
parm2 = 123

[duplicate_sourcetype]
parm1 = xxx
parm2 = 123

[source::]
TRANSFORMS-clone = clone_sourcetype

transforms.conf:

[clone_sourcetype]
CLONE_SOURCETYPE = duplicate_sourcetype
REGEX = .

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. Please use a formatted block or a code sample box to insert code into your text. It makes it more readable.

2. You are aware that CLONE_SOURCETYPE duplicates your events? Which - among other things - results in double license usage for affected events?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Sounds like you’re trying to solve a people/process problem with a technology solution. That isn’t always the best way to go.

But if you really cannot solve this on a people/process level, why not simply take a backup of that sourcetype config so that in the case they remove it, you can simply add it again?

santosh_hb
Explorer

Hi All,

Thanks for the response.

Purpose of creating duplicate sourcetype:

• The original sourcetype (data1) was created by another team and we don't have any control on this sourcetype. Going forward if they delete this sourcetype without our knowledge then we won't be having any control on the sourcetype. Hence, we are creating a duplicate sourcetype (data2) so that we can have the control of the data flowing into this sourcetype and can parse the data easily.

regards,
Santosh

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Wait a second. As @FrankVl said - your biggest problem isn't creation or not of a sourcetype. You don't have a well-developed data onboarding process. And you are trying to use technical means to walk around an organizational problem. Even if you manage to make the "source" sourcetype visible under another name (either by applying this data-duplication recipe or by using the rename option, noone can guarantee that your data format won't suddenly change or the "source" sourcetype won't get renamed to something else rendering your walkaround useless.

So try to solve organizational problems with organizational tools.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

What would be the purpose of this? And would you intend to duplicate the data then, or do you mean that part of your data should get assigned data1 and part of it should get assigned data2 as sourcetype?

0 Karma

Jem_17
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Mine purpose for duplicate sourcetype is   - I am having another data inputs with extractions similar to previous sourcetype1 but different sources.

So I need to create a clone of sourcetype1 conf with another name(sourcetype2).

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

What is it you want to achieve with the separation?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Events can have exactly one sourcetype.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...