Getting Data In

How do you audit user logins on a forwarder?

thisissplunk
Builder

I need to change the admin account password and want to make sure I don't break any automated tasks by doing it. How do I determine if the Splunk admin account has been used to log into and do things on the forwarder?

0 Karma
1 Solution

thisissplunk
Builder

Grepping through the splunk/var/log on the server in question did it.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

Grepping through the splunk/var/log on the server in question did it.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The forwarder should be logging user-login events into $Splunk_home/var/log/splunk/audit.log which are monitored and goes to index=_audit (logs are same as what you'll find on your search heads e.g. index=_audit sourcetype=audittrail action=login*). AFAIK, forwarding of _audit index data from forwarder is disabled from default, so you'd need to enable that and should be able to monitor user logins.

thisissplunk
Builder

Great thank you. So if I don't see the admin account appearing in this year's audit log events I should be good?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes. But I'm not sure the logs will be available for that long. Check the retention period of _audit index.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...