Getting Data In

How do we Parse logs of Secret Server in Splunk Cloud

AL3Z
Builder

Hi,

Are there any available applications to address the issue of incorrect parsing of secret server logs in Splunk cloud?

Thnks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

Hi @richgalloway ,

Can you help me building an add-on like step by step processes of it, is there any article/video available ?

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not aware of a step-by-step tutorial for creating apps, but it's pretty simple.  The hardest part may be getting the app to pass vetting by Splunk Cloud.

Start by creating a directory for your app.  For example, $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/my_app/default.  You can change "my_app" to anything you like, but leave the rest of the path unchanged.

Create a props.conf file in the directory.  Add content to that file as necessary to parse your data.  If you add any transforms, be sure to create a transforms.conf file in the same directory.

Create an app.conf file in the directory.  Populate it as specified at https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/reference/appinspect/appinspectcheck#Appconf-standards

Package the app using tar (or equivalent command) to create a .tgz file.  Do not perform this step on Windows because the file permissions will not be saved correctly.

Upload the app to Splunk Cloud and review the vetting results.  Update the app to correct any failures reported.  Repeat this step until there are no reported failures.

Install the app.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

AL3Z
Builder

Hi
Would you be able to set up an app or custom parser for me. 
Thanks...

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I cannot do that.  That's a job for Splunk Professional Services.

---
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

@richgalloway 

Atleast pls guide me steps so that I can work on it.

• Is it an easy to do ?
  •  
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AL3Z ... As said by Rich's reply, the Splunk App or Add-on building can be an easy task if some development experience you got. 

maybe, if you are really interested, you could learn it. most apps / add-ons are simple and easy. 

I went to the link you provided, looks good. give it a try and update us your views, maybe we can suggest you something, thanks. 

0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AL3Z .. Could you pls edit the sample log(remove all important things like ip address, usernames, any sensitive info), thanks. 

the props and transforms... it requires some homework from your side. I will try my best to create and suggest you back, thanks. 

AL3Z
Builder

Hi, @inventsekar ,

Can you pls create a few fields so that I can create a remaining fields ..

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Example field extractions in props.conf look like this

EXTRACT-action = Action: \[(?<action>[^\]]+)\]
EXTRACT-user = User: (?<user>\S+)

What follows the = is a regular expression very much like what is used with the rex command.  With these examples and a little experimentation in regex101.com you should be able to extract the remaining fields.

If you have troubles, please post the field you're trying to extract and the command you tried.

---

AL3Z
Builder

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Change the name of a field using the rename command.

| rename cs4 as suser_display, cs3 as folder

You can use SEDCMD settings in props.conf to remove unwanted fields from events.

[mysourcetype]
SEDCMD-cs2Label = s/cs2Label=Group or User//

---

AL3Z
Builder

Hi @richgalloway ,

How we can test it is parsing or not with out installation of the  app?

Can we create a new field 1. user 

2. Group according to the field values as mentioned above.

Thanks...

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To test parsing you can use regex101.com or use the rex command in a search window.

| rex mode=sed "<<sed string to test>>"

Creating a User and/or Group field would be a challenge since the cs2 field could contain either a user or a group name and Splunk has no way to know which.

---

AL3Z
Builder

Hi @richgalloway ,

The user naming convention look like firstname last name eg:  samuel raj , jhony walker etc. This should be in the user field and  group naming convention look like Secret Server Linux Server , Secret Server Windows Server etc. and this should be in the group fields, how we can achieve?

Thanks..

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Again, the cs2 field can contain either a user name or a group name.  Users and groups have very similar naming conventions so I don't see how Splunk can correctly determine if a given cs2 value is a user or a group.

Unless, that is, assumptions can be made about user or group names.  For example, if a group name always begins with "Secret Server".

| eval group = if(match(cs2, "^Secret Server"), cs2, null())
| eval user = if(match(cs2, "^Secret Server"), null(), cs2)
---

AL3Z
Builder

Hi @richgalloway ,

This eval group and eval user stanza have to be in the transforms.conf right ?
thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The eval examples I provided yesterday are for SPL queries.  They can be modified for props.conf files, however.

---

AL3Z
Builder

@richgalloway ,

How we can modify for props.conf ?
thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What have you tried so far?

These two eval commands

| eval group = if(match(cs2, "^Secret Server"), cs2, null())
| eval user = if(match(cs2, "^Secret Server"), null(), cs2)

Become these two EVAL statements in props.conf

EVAL-group = if(match(cs2, "^Secret Server"), cs2, null())
EVAL-user = if(match(cs2, "^Secret Server"), null(), cs2)

Assuming, that is, the cs2 field is already extracted.

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.1/Admin/Propsconf#Field_extraction_configuration

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...