Getting Data In

How do I remove field data before indexing?

SathyaNarayanan
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I need to remove a field data before the data gets indexed to Splunk.

The field that needs to be removed is in between the log and it has several lines.

sample data:

dv_u_business_duration_in_seconds="",closed_by="",sys_created_by="",sys_domain_path="/",dv_business_duration="",dv_work_notes="2018-08-05 09:46:09 - *******

active="true",dv_made_sla="true",additional_assignee_list="",delivery_task=""

field name in work_Notes

Note: I tried the null

In Props.conf

[sourcetype:test_task]
TRANSFORMS-null= tasknull

transforms.conf

[tasknull]
FIELDS = work_Notes
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi @SathyaNarayanan

Did the answer below solve your problem? If so, please resolve this post by approving it!
If your problem is still not solved, keep us updated so that someone else can help ya. Thanks for posting!

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

These name value pairs are extracted at search time, not index time.

Btw, props.conf might have been -

[<sourcetype name>]
TRANSFORMS = tasknull

Suppressing the name value pairs extraction at search time can be done via the explanations at Disable Automatic Field Extraction or How to avoid extracting fields from quoted values?

Unfortunately, it requires disabling the extractions by KV_MODE=none in props.conf in the search heads and creating your own extractions.

0 Karma

Super Champion

You can replace the other portion of the events with blank during index time, so only the necessary information gets logged.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/Data/Anonymizedatausingconfigurationfiles#Anonymiz...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...