Getting Data In

How do I extract syslog code to carry out a lookup and create new indexed fields for syslog facility and severity?

corners

Hi

I'm running Splunk 5.0.4. In the environment I have 2 servers
deploy/heavy forwarder
Search head/indexer.

On the heavy forwarder I have setup the listener for syslog udp:514

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\inputs.conf
[udp://514]
connection_host = dns
sourcetype = syslog
no_priority_stripping = true
no_appending_timestamp = true

This is working and forwarding on the syslog events to the indexer and the syslog code is being included but the timestamp is still being included also eg -

<189>: 2016 Mar 17 09:08:18.325 gmt

What I want to do is use the syslog code <189> to do a lookup against a csv to find the matching facility and severity and have the 2 values included as indexed fields within Splunk indexer.

I have atempted to do this by including the following on the Heavy Forwarder (Is this the correct place and server??)

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Aggregator_f\local\props.conf
[source::udp:514]
EXTRACT-extractSyslogcode = (?i)^<(?P<syslog_code>[^>]+)
LOOKUP-SyslogCode = syslog_facility_severity_codes code AS syslog_code OUTPUTNEW facility AS sys_facility, severity AS sys_severity

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Aggregator_f\local\transforms.conf
[syslog_facility_severity_codes]
filename = syslog-codes.csv

The csv file for the lookup is located in

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Health_Aggregator_f\lookups\syslog-codes.csv

If anyone can provide any assistance with this it would be greatly received.

thanks
Steve

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

"What I want to do is use the syslog code to do a lookup against a csv to find the matching facility and severity and have the 2 values included as indexed fields within Splunk indexer."

1. Lookups only happen at search time. Therefore, you can't put the lookup configuration on a forwarder (well, you can, but it doesn't do anything). The lookup should be configured on the search head (or the indexer if you don't have a separate search head). This also means that you can't index the result of a lookup.
  2. In general (which means 99.99% of the time), index-time fields are a bad idea in Splunk. I know that this is completely counter-intuitive, but it is true. Make your lookup automatic and it will provide the additional fields at search time; to the user, it will appear that these fields are indexed.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

"What I want to do is use the syslog code to do a lookup against a csv to find the matching facility and severity and have the 2 values included as indexed fields within Splunk indexer."

1. Lookups only happen at search time. Therefore, you can't put the lookup configuration on a forwarder (well, you can, but it doesn't do anything). The lookup should be configured on the search head (or the indexer if you don't have a separate search head). This also means that you can't index the result of a lookup.
  2. In general (which means 99.99% of the time), index-time fields are a bad idea in Splunk. I know that this is completely counter-intuitive, but it is true. Make your lookup automatic and it will provide the additional fields at search time; to the user, it will appear that these fields are indexed.
0 Karma

corners

Thanks for replying.
I did move the settings over to the indexer yesterday after further reading around lookups.
This has resulted in the additional fields being generated at search time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...