Getting Data In

How do I check to see if a couple of Hosts are sending data to Splunk Enterprise

SamHTexas
Builder

How do I check to see if a couple of Hosts are sending data to Splunk Enterprise. They both are VMs.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Some ideas:

1) Search Splunk for data from those hosts

2) Search Splunk's _internal index for events from forwarders on those hosts, especially TcpInputProc.

3) Use netstat or a similar tool on the hosts to see if connections are established with Splunk.

4) Make sure the forwarder on each host is running.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Rich, I have a a few Forwarders that are missing. I don't know what data comes from them due to them being out of state. How do I know if they are alive? Also is there a way to ping them from Splunk to see if they talk back? Thank u again

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you don't see anything from those hosts in _internal then chances are they are not alive, but it's possible they just can't connect to the indexers.

Communication between Splunk and its forwarders is initiated by the forwarders.  There is no built-in way for Splunk to ping a server (Enterprise Security provides a way, if you have that installed).  Even then, ping only tells you the server is running and not if the forwarder is up or not.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...