Getting Data In

How can I ingest windows logs that were backed up

Funderburg78
Path Finder

Prior to a customer getting splunk, they 7-zipped there logs and copied them to a server.  I just got them a brand new Splunk 8.2.1 enterprise system stood up with awesome dashboards.    Now the customer is asking if I can import there archived .evtx files.  Do we do this by just putitng them in a folder and using monitor to point at them?

Labels (4)
0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Funderburg78 

Splunk forwarder can unzip the archive files and ingest them, if unpacked file is non-binary. As you said you have to set-up inputs.conf monitor stanza on UF and give a try.

---

An upvote would be appreciated and Accept solution if this reply helps!

0 Karma

Funderburg78
Path Finder

I have unzipped the logs already to a directory C:\EventLogs\Restore.  It is literally 50+ evtx files.  The monitor://C:\EventLogs\Restore\* does not appear to be working.  Normally with Windows logs you need to use the wineventlog:// tool, however, it makes a conenction to a channel to monitor the channel.  Since these are not in a channel it will not work.  Since they are evtx files I am not sure the monitor:// can actually read it.  If they were .csv or .log  I am sure monitor:// would work fine.  I was wondering if there is something Splunk has to tackle this challenge.  I really do not want to mount them all manually and convert them to csv files manually.  that would take forever...

EDIT: I cannot be the only person to install splunk and have there customer want to ingest old backed up evtx files....

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Funderburg78  As i mentioned Splunk can not read binary formats even though enforce it to read they won't be readable. wiki says -  "EVTX File Extension - What is an .evtx file and how do I open it? What is an EVTX file? Log file created by the Windows 7 Event Viewer; contains a list of events recorded by Windows; saved in a proprietary binary format that can only be viewed within the Event Viewer program. "

Hence you shall export them to CSV or other text formats then ingest using UF.

---

An upvote would  appreciated and Accept solution  if this reply helps!

Funderburg78
Path Finder

Looks like I need to use a powershell script or logparser to do the conversion.  I found some stuff on the internet to help with this for those who may have this issue in the future!

Convert evtx Files:

Powershell Try:

$a = Get-Item *.evtx

$output_file = [System.IO.StreamWriter] $("all.csv")

foreach($file in $a){

$events = get-winevent -path $file.FullName

foreach ($Event in $events) {

$xml = [xml]($Event.ToXml())

foreach ($s in $xml.Event.System.ChildNodes) {

$output_file.Write($s.Name + ":" + $s.InnerText + ",")

}

foreach ($d in $xml.Event.EventData.Data) {

$text = $d.InnerText

$text = if ($text) { $text.replace("`n","") } else { $text }

$output_file.Write($d.Name + ":" + $text + ",")

}

$output_file.WriteLine()

}

}

$output_file.Flush()

$output_file.Close()

LogParser: (Download from Microsoft.com)

$logparser = "c:\program files (x86)\Log Parser 2.2\logparser.exe"$query = "SELECT * INTO c:\logs\logs.csv FROM c:\logs\logs.evtx" & $logparser -i:evt -o:csv $query

I have not actually tried this yet, but will be giving it a shot in the near future, I expect some tweaking to the scripting may need to be required.

EDIT:  Links for reference:

https://serverfault.com/questions/783708/convert-saved-evtx-files-to-text

LogParser Download location:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24659

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes you need to automate it otherwise its hard. All the best.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...