Getting Data In

How can I index events with the real date while using the timestamp from the log?

ZimmermanC1
Explorer

I have a Splunk instance in a Development & Test lab that uses what we call "repeatable time" to test software updates against a known good checkpoint of data. During a test all of the server times are rolled back to March 16 2011. I have been struggling to figure out how to get Splunk to ignore the Date in the logged events and only care about the "time".

The logs are being monitored in a directory structure as follows /var/adm/splunk/2017_"today's_julian_date"/"server_name"/*.log

Example Log: header,123,321,2011-03-16 17:35:36.035 +00:00,subject,.............

Effectively I am trying to get these events indexed with today's date but the Time from the log. so it would have:

_time=2017-12-11 17:35:36.035

I have tried playing with the TIME_PREFIX & MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD settings in the sourcetype but have not been successful.

TIME_PREFIX = ^[^\s]+\s
 MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 25

This is a critical issue for me to sort out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

ZimmermanC1
Explorer

Following some more research I was able to determine that the date portion of the timestamp was being generated based on the file name which was called ASCII.20110316....... So i created a script to rename each file to ACII.2017-12-13....... and it appears to now almost be working. The problem seems to be that Splunk is now timeshifting the logs one day into the future. I assume it has something to do with the timezone but I am not 100% sure.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

You might want to check out the Splunk Event Gen app, which IIRC can take input data and modify the timestamp in the _raw data for you.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1924/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...