Getting Data In

How I can delete data from splunk after indexed new file

ngerosa
Path Finder

Hi,
I have a CSV file in my folder on pc that is updated every day.
I want to use always the most up-to-date csv file.
I tried to use the monitor option but if the next days the csv is updated the old one remain in my splunk data.

Can I use only one csv file and not the sum of old csv?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

You can clear the contents of the old file using something like - index=<index name> source=<source name> | delete and then index the new file. It's doable...

0 Karma

ngerosa
Path Finder

I use for every csv the same index. So using monitor option, if my csv file is updated I will have the new csv on my splunk but I will have also the old one that are, in part, similar to the previous one.

I want, using the same index, that every day I work only with the latest up-to-date csv file

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Consider writing CSV to a KV Store collection every day. Each update will replace the existing date so there will only one day of data in the store. Then your search just needs to do a inputlookup to get the day's data.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Once data is indexed by Splunk it cannot be deleted or removed until it expires.
You probably should modify your query to search for only the most recent data. Post your query and we may be able to help.

---
0 Karma

ngerosa
Path Finder

My problem is that if I upload a new file with the same name of the old one, splunk summarize the data so I have many duplicate data.
For example: yesterday I uploaded a csv with 10 events, today I upload the same csv file but with 11 events (10 events equal to the yestarday's file and 1 new events).
I want to see only 11 events and not the sum of the two files (21 events)

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're simply adding new events to the same file, rather than completely replacing the CSV, tell Splunk to monitor that file and it will only read the newest events. That should avoid duplicates.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...