Getting Data In

Help with a free disk space query

thebankitgui
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers,

I am attempting to gather the free disk space of all servers and create a report / alert based on it. Thus far I have the SPL set so it outputs the Time, Host, Drive and % Free but the results come back in a long list of pages.

What I'd like to do is two-fold. First part is getting one result per Drive, so one result for each drive on a host and then I'd like to set up an alert for low disk space. Here's my SPL so far:

(index=main) sourcetype=perfmon:LogicalDisk instance!=_Total instance!=Harddisk* | eval FreePct-Other=case( match (instance, "C:"), null(), match(instance,"D:"), null(),true(),storage_free_percent), FreeMB-Other=case( match (instance, "C:"), null(), match(instance,"D:"), null(), true(),Free_Megabytes), FreePct-{instance}=storage_free_percent,FreeMB-{instance}=Free_Megabytes| search counter="% Free Space" | eval Time=strftime (_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | table Time, host, instance, Value | eval Value=round(Value,0) | rename Value AS "Free%" | rename instance AS "Drive" | rename host AS "Host"

The result is: 

thebankitgui_0-1675106121563.png

Labels (2)
0 Karma

thebankitgui
Path Finder

I've gotten it to list one drive per host but I can't seem to manipulate the SPL to show me all drives.

(index=main) sourcetype=perfmon:LogicalDisk instance!=_Total instance!=Harddisk* | eval FreePct-Other=case( match (instance, "C:"), null(), match(instance,"D:"), null(),true(),storage_free_percent), FreeMB-Other=case( match (instance, "C:"), null(), match(instance,"D:"), null(), true(),Free_Megabytes), FreePct-{instance}=storage_free_percent,FreeMB-{instance}=Free_Megabytes| search counter="% Free Space" | stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(instance) as instance, latest(Value) as Value by host | eval Time=strftime (_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | table Time, host, instance, Value | eval Value=round(Value,0) | rename Value AS "Free%" | rename instance AS "Drive" | rename host AS "Host"

thebankitgui_0-1675107018867.png

0 Karma

thebankitgui
Path Finder

Making more headway but not 100% there, I tried "values" for stats in the case of instance and I got all the drive letters tied to the hosts but I can't seem to get the values themselves to populate:

(index=main) sourcetype=perfmon:LogicalDisk instance!=_Total instance!=Harddisk* | eval FreePct-Other=case( match (instance, "C:"), null(), match(instance,"D:"), null(),true(),storage_free_percent), FreeMB-Other=case( match (instance, "C:"), null(), match(instance,"D:"), null(), true(),Free_Megabytes), FreePct-{instance}=storage_free_percent,FreeMB-{instance}=Free_Megabytes| search counter="% Free Space" | stats latest(_time) as _time, values(instance) as instance, latest(Value) as Value by host | eval Time=strftime (_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | table Time, host, instance, Value | eval Value=round(Value,0) | rename Value AS "Free%" | rename instance AS "Drive" | rename host AS "Host"

thebankitgui_0-1675107695547.png

0 Karma

thebankitgui
Path Finder

Alright, now I have the alert set up and it works but then the e-mail it sends will include all results over 1 minute with lots of duplicates. Now I need a way to say in the alert which host had low disk space. I have a custom trigger alert for free% < 10 so it will give me a long list of hosts repeated and the one less than 10 is in there (SSBDESKTOP2 in this instance). Just need to get it narrowed down:

thebankitgui_0-1675113750203.png

thebankitgui_1-1675113820575.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...