Getting Data In

Help Getting CSV File in when time field is in Seconds Past Midnight

edgarrity
Path Finder

I need help with loading CSV files into Splunk with the event time recorded as seconds past midnight instead of HH:MM:SS time. Below is a sample of the data I need to load. How do I specify that the time column is the number of seconds past midnight when defining the Timestamp for the Source Type?

PickStartDate,BTVersion,TripNumber,Sequence,PassingTime,ArrivalTime,DepartureTime,FlagStop,ByPass,EarlyDeparture,event_line_number
2021-04-25,S1000216,1020,1,54900,54900.0,54900.0,0,0,,1
2021-04-25,S1000216,1020,2,54955,,,0,0,,2
2021-04-25,S1000216,1020,3,54999,,,0,0,,3

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, INGEST_EVAL is the way to go.

Firstly parse out the day as usual so you'll get the beginning of the day in the _time field. Then parse out an indexed field containing number of seconds. Then add this number to your _time. And finally, if not needed for anything else, unset the extracted field (otherwise it will get indexed).

View solution in original post

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@edgarrity - INGEST_EVAL would be one of the options I guess.

(you may have to combine multiple INGEST_EVAL and in combination with normal TRANSFORMS with REGEX to achieve the extraction and generate the right timestamp as you need.)

I hope this helps!!!

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, INGEST_EVAL is the way to go.

Firstly parse out the day as usual so you'll get the beginning of the day in the _time field. Then parse out an indexed field containing number of seconds. Then add this number to your _time. And finally, if not needed for anything else, unset the extracted field (otherwise it will get indexed).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...