Getting Data In

Heavy forwarder as cluster master

ryastrebov
Communicator

Hello splunkers!

It is possible to configure heavy forwarder as cluster master?
My heavy forvarder forward all data to peers, not indexing external data.

Best regards,
Roman

0 Karma
1 Solution

psow_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The master is designed to function solely as the cluster manager. But I have no issues configuring it to monitor certain path and forwarding it to the indexers in the cluster. So it will still work

View solution in original post

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Technically you can do this.

However, you need to understand the workload on the HF. If the HF starts to get overtaxed, there will be impact to your cluster in terms of maintaining SF and RF across all the indexers.

As long as you are aware of this, and keep your resources on the HF in check, this can be done. However, this is against Splunk best practices.

0 Karma

psow_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The master is designed to function solely as the cluster manager. But I have no issues configuring it to monitor certain path and forwarding it to the indexers in the cluster. So it will still work

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You should not use the heavy forwarder as a cluster master, although I suppose it is technically possible.

0 Karma

ryastrebov
Communicator

Why should not I do it?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

According to the documentation: "The master has the sole function of managing the other cluster nodes."

Managing Indexers and Clusters of Indexers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...