Getting Data In

Forwarding profiles - how to

hokie1999
Explorer

Is there any way to set up profiles for commonly forwarded logs? I see:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/WAS/latest/User/logdata

details logs. Is there any way I can set up a profile from the indexer to grab all the SystemErr.log, SystemOut.logs from app servers?

BTW, I'm running Splunk 5.0.2 on Red Hat 6.3. I have 2 indexers that are replicating, two search heads, and one master. Perhaps 80 devices are forwarding to the indexers.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

hokie1999
Explorer

Thanks for the answer. What I wound up doing was adding lines to my expect script like so:

expect "]#" { send "find /opt/IBM -name 'SystemErr.log' > $tempfile\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "find /opt/IBM -name 'SystemOut.log' >> $tempfile\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "find /opt/IBM -name 'trace.log' >> $tempfile\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "sed -i 's/^/\[monitor\:\\/\\//' $tempfile\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "sed -i 's/$/\]/' $tempfile\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "cat $tempfile >> $inputfile\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk restart\r" }
    expect "]#" { send "ps -ef | grep splunk\r" }

where $inputfile is /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf

This produces output like this in the inputs.conf file:

[monitor:///var/log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.Messaging.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemErr.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/nodeagent/SystemErr.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.WebApp.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemErr.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/WESBIlabNode02_proxy/SystemErr.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.AppTarget.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemErr.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.Support.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemErr.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.Messaging.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemOut.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/nodeagent/SystemOut.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.WebApp.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemOut.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/WESBIlabNode02_proxy/SystemOut.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.AppTarget.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemOut.log]
[monitor:///opt/IBM/WebSphere/WesbServer/profiles/WESBIlabNode02/logs/BUSILABDE.Support.ddcwesbn2-WESBIlabNode02.0/SystemOut.log]

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might want to set the monitor to /opt/*.log or a similar expression matching all your log files, and then whitelisting (or blacklisting) your way towards the correct set of files.

0 Karma

hokie1999
Explorer

Follow up question. Let's say I want to monitor three files, /opt/a.log, /opt/b.log, /opt/c.log

What would the [monitor://xxxx] statement in inputs.conf look like? Could I do this:

[monitor:///opt/a.log,/opt/b.log,/opt/c.log]

or does it have to be

[monitor:///opt/a.log]
[moniotr:///opt/b.log]
[monitor:///opt/c.log]

Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...