Getting Data In

Forwarder load balancing over SSL to indexer cluster ?

aniketpatil
Engager

Currently trying to load balance data from forwarder to indexer cluster ( idx1 & idx2) over ssl .

So this configuration is correct at forwarder outputs.conf?

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = LB

[tcpout:LB]
server = idx2:9998,idx1:9998

clientCrt = XXX
sslPassword = XXX
sslVerifyServerCert = XXX

problem statement - already try above configuration but LB happening only on idx2 until I make following change in idx1 inputs.conf

here i know that data is not moving over SSL

[splunktcp://9998]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp-ssl:9998]
disabled = 0
[SSL]
serverCert = XXX
sslPassword = XXX
requireClientCert = false

idx2 inputs.conf

[splunktcp-ssl:9998]
disabled = 0
[SSL]
serverCert = XXX
sslPassword = XXX
requireClientCert = false

0 Karma

13tsavage
Communicator

Your outputs.conf looks fine to me, but I would add indexer acknowledgement to it. Add ** useACK = true ** under your tcpout:LB stanza to look like this:
** [tcpout:LB]
server = idx2:9998,idx1:9998
useACK = true **

According to Splunk Docs, [splunktcp-ssl:####] is supposed to be used to receive PARSED data from a forwarder. Unless you are using a heavy forwarder that is parsing data before sending to your indexers, use [tcp-ssl:####]. See Section: Configure a TCP input over SSL

I am reading conflicting statements about which stanza to use, but I know the inputs.conf.spec file states what I mentioned above about [splunktcp-ssl] vs [tcp-ssl]

Other than those changes. Make sure that idx2's inputs.conf matches exactly idx1's inputs.conf (which I am sure you have). I would maybe try running a btool check and see if inputs.conf has any stanza errors. $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk btool inputs list --debug on idx1. May I also suggest some strategies mentioned on Splunk Docs Troubleshoot your forwarder to indexer authentication

aniketpatil
Engager

Thanks for suggest and now it is working .
there was no change done within inputs.config as it is working fine with splunktcp-ssl stanza . only change made with outputs.conf

@13tsavage - thanks for help .

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...