Getting Data In

Firewall Open Port WMI

splunk13
Explorer

Hi Splunk community,

I have just a little question, I have some servers in a DMZ. All ports are blocked inside to this DMZ and this DMZ to inside.

I use WMI for getting logs with splunk. Which ports do I need open LAN -> DMZ and DMZ -> LAN? (tcp I think ?)
I don't use forwarder.

Thank you for your help,

splunk13

0 Karma

splunk13
Explorer

Hi all,

I up this topic because the answer's Ayn doesn't work.

Anyone has a solution for me ?

Thanks for your help !

Splunk13

0 Karma

splunk13
Explorer

Ok Thanks for you answer. But anyone has done that before ?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

What do you mean "it doesn't work"? I didn't have any solution, just pointers to where you can read more about this 🙂

WMI queries is inherently not a Splunk functionality, it is a functionality in Windows and as such you really should be asking this on a Windows forum, not a Splunk forum.

0 Karma

splunk13
Explorer

Hi Ayn,

Thank you for you fast response !
I need do this manipulation on my splunk server, exact ?

Regards,

Splunk13

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Not really a Splunk question, but here goes:

You don't need to open any ports from your DMZ to your LAN (which is just as well, because that would break the idea of a DMZ). As for communication from your LAN to your DMZ, normally WMI doesn't use fixed ports like that. It uses DCOM. Recent versions of Windows let you setup a fixed port though, more info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb219447%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0 Karma

krusty
Contributor

Hi, I have a similar problem with remote WMI requests.
We just have set on the remote server a static port for WMI requests. Seems to be working fine. But we noticed on a third party firewall that splunk forwarder tries to connect by other ports then defined on the remote server.
Is there any configuration on the forwarder possible, like a WMI port configuration or something like that?
With the documentation, I couldn't find any Information about this.

I know that WMI is not a splunk issue, but maybe we can manipulate it by splunk. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...