Getting Data In

Filtering out header-only "events" after using MultiKV

FunPolice
Path Finder

I've been tweaking the *NIX app by adding some charts with queries such as:

index="os" sourcetype="who" host=$host$ | multikv | timechart count by USERNAME

The resulting chart has a large number of events where the USERNAME is NULL. This appears to be because the MultiKV command only filters out the header when there is a body in the event. If the "who" event only contains a header the MultiKV leaves it in the result set as an event.

What is the best way to get rid of these unwanted header "events"? I would prefer to index them, as then there is a contiguous record from the who script. I could use

index="os" sourcetype="who" | multikv | search _raw!="*USERNAME        LINE        HOSTNAME                                  TIME*"

however there are likely many other similar situations so a more generic solution would be helpful.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

Tags (2)

FunPolice
Path Finder

I've upgraded to 4.2 and will try again with the universal forwarder as soon as I get a chance. Stay tuned!

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I just don't get this behavior. multikv for me simply doesn't return the header rows, so I don't get this problem.

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

a slightly better approach would be:

index="os" sourcetype="who" host=$host$ | multikv | search USERNAME=* | timechart count by USERNAME

basically filter out all results that are missing the USERNAME field

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...