Getting Data In

Filtering (discarding) logs using Heavy Forwarder. Regex filter fails after transforms reload

fahmed11
Explorer

I'm using an on-prem Heavy Forwarder to filter some noisy logs coming in via syslog (HF is installed on syslog server). Logs are then forwarded to our Splunk Cloud instances. 

I configured the inputs.conf, props.conf, and transforms.conf using the regex forwarding the garbage to a nullQueue index to drop the necessary traffic. I reloaded the transforms using the "refresh" URL below (without restarting the entire splunkd service described here). This was working perfectly as expected.

http://your-heavy-forwarder-splunk-server:8000/en-GB/debug/refresh

I recently made a change to drop some more logs in a different file. So, changes were made to different inputs, props, and transform config file than the first time. I used the same method to reload the transforms. As soon as I did that, for about 10 to 30 minutes the previous log filter stopped working and tons of garbage started flowing into our Splunk Cloud account (see the crazy bump shown below).

fahmed11_0-1617112670910.png

After a while it stopped on its own and the new filter works as expected as well (I'm so confused). However, as you can imagine, this crazy amount of logs flowing into Splunk Cloud every time we want to discard logs is counterintuitive to the whole exercise. 

I want to understand if this is a known issue and if there is a way around it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...