Getting Data In

External Forwarder sending to DMZ Heavy Forwarder (9997)

jordanking1992
Path Finder

All,

I am trying to send to from an external forwarder to a DMZ Heavy Forwarder that is behind a firewall w/ 9997 open. In my attempt to send data, I am getting "TCP output processor has paused the data flow" and unable to get  to get results to the DMZ forwarder.

I have similar setup with HEC and Syslog that works just fine but for traffic on 9997, Splunk is refusing to send. The box is ping-able and 9997 is open. The firewall is set up to route to the DMZ host as well.

Anyone have some  ideas on what I may be doing wrong or things to consider when setting up a Splunk HF in a DMZ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

can you verify splunk listen is enabled on Splunk DMZ Heavy forwarder. by running below command 

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btool inputs list | grep 9997

output should be like below:

[splunktcp://9997]

if you don't see the above output, that means 9997 is not enabled on DMZ HF, but port is opened on firewall.

you can enable by running below command repalce username and password with actual.

splunk enable listen 9997 -auth <username>:<password>

Try to generate some traffic on 9997 to DMZ HF from where you are saying telnet is working.

telnet yourdmzip 9997 -> enter

check if it says connected or not, if its connected, type something random text and don't close the session.

check what IP you are seeing in DMZ HF by doing netstat command 

netstat -anp | grep 9997

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...