Getting Data In

Examples of using variable in REST API search? Is it possible?

the_wolverine
Champion

Are there any examples of how to pass a variable to query when using REST API?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

Here's an example of running a saved search and passing a variable to it. In this case, the variable is host field:

$curl -k -u admin:password https://splunkserver:8089/services/search/jobs/export -d search="savedsearch \ MySavedSearch%20host%3Dwolverine*"

(use "MySavedSearch" and input variable host=wolverine* )

I have a saved search named "MySavedSearch" the query of the search contains:

"index=main $host$ | head 100"

I wish there were more examples like this in the documentation so I am providing it here in hopes that it can help someone else.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

Here's an example of running a saved search and passing a variable to it. In this case, the variable is host field:

$curl -k -u admin:password https://splunkserver:8089/services/search/jobs/export -d search="savedsearch \ MySavedSearch%20host%3Dwolverine*"

(use "MySavedSearch" and input variable host=wolverine* )

I have a saved search named "MySavedSearch" the query of the search contains:

"index=main $host$ | head 100"

I wish there were more examples like this in the documentation so I am providing it here in hopes that it can help someone else.

the_wolverine
Champion

For example, I want to create a search that accepts a variable input (e.g. IP address) so I can reuse it. After thinking more about this, looks like I can pre-populate Splunk with saved searches that accept such a variable but it would be nice to see cool examples of how other customers have done this.

0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you expand upon your use case? I'm not clear on what you mean by a variable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...