Getting Data In

Eventgen - Ensure current timestamp

ehqtrainorm
Explorer

Hi All,

I have a few existing inputs with EventGen (v6.5.2) and they work perfectly on Splunk 8.0.5.

The use case I am having trouble with is where:

a) The timestamp is not contained in the _raw data (the actual Production input uses the current index time)

b) There are other timestamps in _raw (they are not related to _time, are separate fields).

c) All events in the csv sample file must be ingested each interval.

I have tried both sample mode and replay mode.

Sample mode ingests the data but identifies different date/time values in _raw and uses that as _time, which is unexpected. This is even while autotimestamp = false.

ehqtrainorm_0-1598568180744.png

In replay mode, nothing is ingested due to errors where it can't find the timeField (there is a time column in the csv that I referenced).

So how can I ingest all events in the sample csv file while ensuring _time is the current time, and not dependent on any timestamps in the _raw?

Here is my config for mode = sample.

[ops_724events_ggprocdetail_sample]
disabled = false
mode = sample
interval = 60
sampletype = csv
autotimestamp=false

earliest = -1m
latest = now

Csv sample file has the following columns:

time,index,host,source,sourcetype,"_raw"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...