Getting Data In

Does splunk allow spaces in key values?

marcus314
Engager

Splunk is not extracting the key-value pairs to the logs, and I'm wondering if this is because there are spaces in the keys and they're in quotes, or if it is because there isn't a space after the comma?

Example log:

Jul 25 11:24:31 banana-server 11:24:31,582 [b-thread-01] WARN BananaServiceWorker - Service Error: "Service Error Type"="SERVICE","Service Name"="The Banana Service","Error Code"="41","Error Message"="We are out of bananas."

0 Karma
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While Splunk Doesn't allow spaces in the fields (see url below) it might replace the spaces with an underscore. So your field to search on would be "Service_Error_Type", etc for each of those fields.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/Knowledge/Aboutfields

View solution in original post

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While Splunk Doesn't allow spaces in the fields (see url below) it might replace the spaces with an underscore. So your field to search on would be "Service_Error_Type", etc for each of those fields.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/Knowledge/Aboutfields

marcus314
Engager

After playing around with it, I've learned that it does not allow spaces, and it doesn't allow quotes either to escape the spaces, without using special commands in the search field. In order to get it to properly use the auto extract, I had to get rid of the quotes and replace the spaces with underscores. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...