Getting Data In

Does Splunk reindex data from another forwarder?

Jamshed
Explorer

I have a full version of Splunk Indexer running on one machine. It is indexing data and sending the index data to another instance of Splunk Indexer running on another machine. Does the receiving instance of Splunk reindex that data?
Is this received (and indexed) data counted in the 500 mb?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

Jamshed
Explorer

Thank you.

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No problem. If I've answered your question, please remember to accept one of the responses so the question shows as answered.

Thanks!

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

With the free license, yes.

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This doesn't seem like a reasonable architecture. What you're describing isn't a forwarder (heavy, or otherwise), but an indexer. And distributed search isn't available with the free license.

Your only options here are either to be more choosy about what you forward, so you can stay below the 500MB limit, or pony up for an Enterprise license.

0 Karma

Jamshed
Explorer

Ok. But my initial question remains - if one instance of Splunk indexes data, sends that indexed data to another instance of Splunk, does that instance have to re-index that data to get anything meaningful out of it (such as alerts, etc)?

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You have two options here:

1. Turn the first server into a lightweight or heavy forwarder per the instructions in the link I posted before.
  2. Turn the second server into a search head, and the first server into a search peer.

The second option isn't really an option for you if you're on the free license.

I'd go with the first option. When you do, the data will no longer be getting indexed on the first server. The first server will just forward the data to the second server, where it will be indexed, and can be searched upon.

For reference, here is some info on the capabilities for the different types of licenses.

0 Karma

Jamshed
Explorer

Great, thank you for the info.

Let's say that now, instead of that one first forwarder, I have 10. 10 'heavy forwarders' pointing one free license will go over the 500MB limit.

I am trying to index the data locally, send that data to a central server for viewing. This way each instance stays below 500MB.

1. Does this seem like a reasonable architecture?

Or does that central server have to re-index all that data, in which case there is no point in indexing on the local servers at the first level.

Thank you for your time.

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

More info about heavy vs. lightweight forwarders here.

I understand your question, I'm just trying to determine if you're actually indexing on both servers. If you are, you probably don't need to be.

And yes, if you're indexing on both servers, both count against the license. I'm assuming that you've got the free 500MB license on each? If so, then both server's licenses would be getting dinged.

0 Karma

Jamshed
Explorer

Exactly. My next question is, how can I only have it index on the first server, send the index data to the second, and get dashboards etc from the second without indexing it?

Does the second instance of Splunk HAVE to index the data in order to get anything meaningful out of the data (alerts, etc?

Thanks!

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So, does that mean you converted the first server to a lightweight or heavy forwarder?

0 Karma

Jamshed
Explorer

I'm not entirely sure. I think it is considered a heavy forwarder because I still have Splunk Web enabled and all.

My question is, is the data counted for each instance of Splunk? Or does the data index on the first server not count as indexing data for the second server?

0 Karma

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How are you sending the data from the first Splunk server to the second?

0 Karma

Jamshed
Explorer

I am using Splunk's forwarder capability. I am NOT using a universal forwarder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...