Getting Data In

Does Splunk have the ability to batch ingest large .csv files?

nick405060
Motivator

Is Splunk capable of batch ingesting large .csv files? It does not seem like it.

For example, the below works

[monitor:///opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/csv/tenable_reports/*/*.csv]
disabled=false
index=security
sourcetype=csv
ignoreOlderThan=30d

but when you change monitor to batch and add move_policy=sinkhole, as well as delete ignoreOlderThan, it breaks. No ingestion, no purging. Adding initCrcLen=1000000000 does nothing. If I quickly vim a much smaller test csv then it works. Other users have had similar issues:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/660982/why-is-the-batch-input-not-indexing-certain-files.html

I am batch inputting from my search head; the index resides on the indexer. There is no problem doing this with monitor or with smaller csvs.

It's a shame Splunk is not a robust enough SIEM to be able to handle batch ingestion of a CSV file 😕

nick405060
Motivator

This is only a partial answer. 15 hours and 100+ reboots later. Sigh.

I had to stop Splunk, delete the app, fishbucket, and batch directory all at once, restart, and then move files back in. If I did not do this exactly it did not work. Even then, it only indexed/deleted about 500MB of csvs at a time before it stopped indexing or deleting ANYTHING. So I had to go through the process again with my remaining ~800MB of csv files. And again, it stopped and broke halfway through. The third time going through this process finally finished the batch ingestion.

Again, this doesn't help much, because next time I go to deposit a large number of .csvs, I'm screwed unless I want to go through this process every time.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How large are the files?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

up to 250MB

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...