Getting Data In

Does Splunk Cloud use a self-signed certificate?

ragnaridentitys
Engager

I have found out that Splunk Cloud Trial uses a self-signed certificate for its HTTP Event collector input endpoint. Does the paid version of Splunk Cloud include a publicly valid certificate or do we need to install one ourselves and is that even possible with splunk cloud?

1 Solution

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

I don't use the HTTP Event collector input in Splunk Cloud but from conversations the with the pre-sales folks I am pretty sure that the certs are self-signed. You can get a publicly valid cert installed but because of the managed nature of the solution, you would need to submit a support case to have it installed.

In any case, I wouldn't take my word for it 100%. Splunk Cloud is available through the Amazon Marketplace I believe and there should be some contact information if you look it up to get an "official" answer.

[updated]

The customer sales contacts are listed at:

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/about-us/contact.html

View solution in original post

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

I don't use the HTTP Event collector input in Splunk Cloud but from conversations the with the pre-sales folks I am pretty sure that the certs are self-signed. You can get a publicly valid cert installed but because of the managed nature of the solution, you would need to submit a support case to have it installed.

In any case, I wouldn't take my word for it 100%. Splunk Cloud is available through the Amazon Marketplace I believe and there should be some contact information if you look it up to get an "official" answer.

[updated]

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

Just in case you need it...sorry I didn't post this in my original answer.

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for the explanation (now gone as I've removed my downvote). I was unaware that there was a link in the marketplace for Splunk Cloud I've edited your accepted answer with your addendum so that it will come up in full in searches (in google etc) up front.

FWIW Certs are self signed across the board. You can replace with your own certs if you wish.

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

No problem. In my first response I attempted to include the hyperlink to the SaaS offering in AWS Marketplace but I suppose I haven't been active enough for it not to get stripped out..or I just don't know what to do to get it to show up.

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes. a lot of editing and "trust of links" comes from raising your Karma. Spend a bit of time here and keep answering things. The more accepts you get the higher your karma will go. I believe you need to hit 1000 before the editing capabilities open up.

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...