Getting Data In

Documentation for journald_input

opoplawski
Explorer

I see that there is a journald_input app in the splunk forwarder install, but I can't seem to find any information on how to use it.  I ran:

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk enable  app journald_input

But it doesn't appear to be ingesting any entries from the journal.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The app is enabled, but is an input enabled (they're separate)?  Use btool to check

splunk btool inputs list --app=journald_input

or examine the inputs.conf files

less /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/journald_input/default/inputs.conf /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/journald_input/local/inputs.conf
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The app is enabled, but is an input enabled (they're separate)?  Use btool to check

splunk btool inputs list --app=journald_input

or examine the inputs.conf files

less /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/journald_input/default/inputs.conf /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/journald_input/local/inputs.conf
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

opoplawski
Explorer

Ah, thanks.  I guess /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/journald_input/README/inputs.conf.spec is the reference then.  It also wasn't entirely clear to me that the "<name>" for the input appears to be arbitrary.

Unfortunately for the moment, it looks like this will not work on EL7 as it uses the --output-fields option to journalctl which is not present there.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...