Getting Data In

DB Connect - Timezone Issue: Best Practices to avoid/identify?

chawagon03
Path Finder

I'm going to explain this the best way possible. Our server running the indexer is located in EST. We are querying a database located in a different timezone and timestamping against epoch time, but the indexer seems to get the timestamp wrong and add 4 hours to it. Is there something we can do to make it use GMT time? What do you guys do to prevent timezone issues? Looking for best practices.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The best best-practice is this:

1: Always run host OS in GMT.
2: Always timestamp source data in GMT.
3: Always use NTP.

In a perfect world, everybody would do that and things would be fine. Short of that:

1: Always explicitly timestamp (do not use DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT nor DATETIME_CONFIG=NONE).
2: Always timestamp source data with per-event TZ.
3: When that is not possible, always set a TZ= value in props.conf for everything (this can be verified by checking date_zone; it should NEVER be local but it is OK if it is null for some TA inputs).
4: Always keep an eye on your calculated lag ( _indextime - _time) so you see when things go sideways.
5: Always trackdown the reason any events have timestamp=none.

It sounds like you are having a type-3 problem.

chawagon03
Path Finder

Thank you! This was great and will hopefully solve future issues!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...