Getting Data In

Correct path to IIIS logs

putrtek

Trying to setup the Universal Forwarder on the Web Server to forward IIS logs to SPLUNK.
The Windows Event log ARE forwarding correctly. My IIS logs are NOT stored in the default location so I'm trying to figure out the correct stanza to use.

My actual IIS log directoiry structure is
E:\weblogs\w3svc1*.log
E:\weblogs\w3svc2*.log
E:\weblogs\w3svc3*.log
Etc... multiple web sites

I tried the following Stanzas neither have seemed to work

[monitor://E:\weblogs\*\*.log]
disabled = 0

[monitor://E:\weblogs\...\*.log]
disabled = 0

I even tried tho log just a single site
[monitor://E:\weblogs\w3svc1\*.log]
disabled = 0

I restart splunk forwarded after changing the path
If I run 'splunk list monitor' I get for all stanzas
E:\weblogs*.log

No logs are being imported that I can tell

Appreciate any assistsnce anyone can provide.

-MARK-

0 Karma

putrtek

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to this. Been very busy on another project just got back to this today.
The only entiries in my Splunkd.log are as follows

05-30-2018 11:52:38.167 -0400 INFO  TailingProcessor - Parsing configuration stanza: monitor://e:\WebLogs\*.log.
05-30-2018 11:52:38.167 -0400 INFO  TailingProcessor - Adding watch on path: e:\WebLogs.

I think these are both good

Right now my SplunkForwarder Service is running under the Local System account. I haven't been able to figure out how to give that account READ permisssions to the e:\weblogs folder.

-MARK-

0 Karma

solarboyz1
Builder

Did you verify the splunk process has permissions to the read the log files you want it to monitor?

Do you see any events in the $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunkd.log regarding these file monitors?

0 Karma

putrtek

So is there a specific account that needs permissions? I assume it's the account that the SplunkUniveralForwareder service is running under? I will go look in the $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunkd.log to see if anything is there. Thanks for the advise. -MARK-

0 Karma

putrtek
Sorry lost the backslahes. Here is the correct  directory structure.
E:\weblogs\w3svc1\*.log
E:\weblogs\w3svc2\*.log
E:\weblogs\w3svc3\*.log
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...