Getting Data In

Consolidating two [monitor://] stanzas

_smp_
Builder

I'm dealing with a set of web servers with an inconsistent access logging configuration. There is some variability in the path and the name of the files:
Source

/usr/local2/searchapps/v-ESP_ssl/logs/access.log
/usr/local2/searchapps/v-admin11/conf/ssl/logs/access_log
/usr/local2/searchapps/v-admin11/logs/access.log

There are additional file patterns in these same directory paths that I don't want to index:

<PATH>/access.log-2020-06-13-1592036161
<PATH>/access.log-2020-06-13-1592036161.gz

It seems I can pull everything in correctly with two [monitor] stanzas:

[monitor:///usr/local2/searchapps/v-*/.../logs/access*]
index           = web
sourcetype      = access_combined
crcSalt         = <SOURCE>
whitelist       = access[\._]log$

[monitor:///usr/local2/searchapps/v-*/logs/access*]
index           = web
sourcetype      = access_combined
crcSalt         = <SOURCE>
whitelist       = access[\._]log$

For my own education, I'm trying to simplify the configuration by collapsing them into a single stanza and getting rid of the whitelist. So far I've been unsuccessful, it seems mostly due to the behavior of the ... and * wildcards.

Is there a way to combine those two inputs into one and further simplify?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I don't see an easy way. Even if you were to come up with one, could you or your successor maintain it? What if another filepath had to be added? Keeping it simple does just mean fewer characters in the .conf file.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...