Getting Data In

Configuring Windows Registry

cald0002

I am having trouble extracting certain information from registry events. For example I want to extract the "SetValue" from the registry type, however, when I try to use the "extract fields" option to create to create a field for it, Splunk does not allow me to select that specific string to create the field. Is there a way to fix this? Or an alternative method to create fields for registry_type and also key_path and process_image?

event_status="(0)The operation completed successfully."
pid=7008
process_image="svchost.exe"
registry_type="SetValue"
key_path="HKU\s-1-5-20\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\deliveryoptimization\config\downloadmode_backcompat"
data_type="REG_DWORD"
data="0x00000001(1)"

0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

are you using the Splunk TA for Windows?
did you follow this doc:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/Data/MonitorWindowsregistrydata
I see all the fields extracted, screenshot below

alt text

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

are you using the Splunk TA for Windows?
did you follow this doc:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/Data/MonitorWindowsregistrydata
I see all the fields extracted, screenshot below

alt text

0 Karma

cald0002

Hi Adonio I am using the TA for Windows and I also followed the doc, however my events still do not look like the ones you have in the screen shot. This is the monitor I am using, not sure if it aligns with the one you are using.

[WinRegMon://hklm_run]
disabled = 0
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\.*
proc = .*
index = windows
type = rename|set|create|delete|rename

Also, do you think I need to make any changes or configs to any other file? In order to get all the other events to come in properly?

0 Karma

cald0002

I also had an asterisk at the end of hive in proc, not sure why it didnt come up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...