Getting Data In

Configuring Apache log data forwarding

compsavvystu
Engager

I have a linux web server (Ubuntu 10.04 x64) that I would like to forward apache log data from. I have installed the universal forwarder. How do I configure it to forward log data to my splunk server?

If this is well documented, I apologize. I'm having difficulty finding this info.

Thanks.

twinspop
Influencer

Minimally, in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local

outputs.conf:

[tcpout:somelabel]
server=192.168.0.1:9997

inputs.conf:

[monitor:///path/yo/your/access_log]
sourcetype = access_log

On the receiving end, you'll need to activate a corresponding receiving port under Management -> Forwrding/Receiving. (In this case, and by default, 9997.)

lguinn2
Legend

You can use a wild card, and that's better than a separate monitor stanza for each file. If you need something more sophisticated, you can add either a whitelist or a blacklist to the spec.

There is a new manual called "Getting Data In." Start here (http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Data/Configureyourinputs#Edit_inputs.conf) in the manual for help with inputs.conf

0 Karma

compsavvystu
Engager

for the monitor, can I specify a wildcard in the access_log path (like /path/to/*.log, or does a separate [monitor] line need to be specified for each access_log?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...