Getting Data In

Cannot connect to HEC on cloud

pjasiak
Engager

Hi, I'm running the curl command:

curl -vvvvv https://prd-p-xxxxx.splunkcloud.com:8088/services/collector/event -H "Authorization: Splunk <token>" -d '{"sourcetype": "my_sample_data", "event": "ping"}'

and I got:
* Trying <IP>:8088...
* connect to <IP> port 8088 failed: Operation timed out
* Failed to connect to prd-p-xxxxx.splunkcloud.com port 8088 after 17497 ms: Couldn't connect to server
* Closing connection 0
curl: (28) Failed to connect to prd-p-xxxxx.splunkcloud.com port 8088 after 17497 ms: Couldn't connect to server

I have free trial, HEC is enabled and token is valid
what could cause this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also remember that trial Cloud installation does not fully support HEC over TLS. I don't remember the details though - either you get only unencrypted connection or get the TLS-enabled port but only with some self-signed cert on the server's side.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check your firewalls to confirm they allow connections to Splunk Cloud port 8088.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...