Getting Data In

Can I take one IP with two different sets of logs (DNS and DHCP) and import that into two different sourcetypes?

aaron_schmuhl
Engager

So, here's my admittedly dumb situation. I have an IPAM appliance(s) that does both DNS and DHCP. The output port for the logs isn't configurable according to the admin, so we're stuck with udp/514. Normally, getting two different IPs into the same port and differentiating traffic is pretty straightforward... but that's not what I have.

Can I somehow take one IP (say 192.168.1.1) with two different set of logs (DNS and DHCP) and somehow import that into two different sourcetypes? Can I determine sourcetype with a regex somehow?

Tags (4)
0 Karma

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In props.conf (assuming the current sourcetype is udp:514)

[udp:514]
TRANSFORMS-set_sourcetype_ipam = ipam_sourcetype_dns, ipam_sourcetype_dhcp

In transforms.conf

[ipam_sourcetype_dns]
REGEX = <regex for dns event>
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::ipam:dns

[ipam_sourcetype_dhcp]
REGEX = <regex for dhcp>
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::ipam:dhcp

You will need to develop your own regexes for the two event types, and put that in the transforms.conf file, and then all future events will be sourcetype'd appropriately.

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

It possible using a transform and props conf. You will have to come up with a regex that will capture the event when a match occurs you will overwrite the meta field for sourcetype. This can be done on a heavy forwarder or indexer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...