Getting Data In

Can I set Splunk Forwarder Memory Use Limit?

wbfoxii
Communicator

We have forwarders installed on our Domain Controllers to get the Windows event logs. Our Domain Admin is excited about memory usage. Is there a setting in limits.conf that would allow me to cut down the amount of memory the forwarder uses? I'm seeing 2 GB being held by the forwarder based on looking at the memory use graph before and after stopping the forwarder service.

I've seen documentation that says the forwarder does not hold the memory "tightly" and would release it to other tasks. Is there any discussion on how that works?

0 Karma

wbfoxii
Communicator

Never got an answer on this. Now I'm waiting for the next event to get a DIAG and open a ticket with support.

Admin is still excited. It makes the DC unresponsive until the forwarder is restarted.

0 Karma

cdupuis123
Path Finder

You ever get an answer on this? Reasearching a simular complaint currently.....

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...