Getting Data In

CIGESM setup

sigma9r

I am trying to add Splunk Syslog reporting from a "chassis" switch with CIGESM-16K2L2Q4-M IOS. There appears to be no "logging" command in this IOS to throw SYSLOG message at Splunk.
Bear in mind, I'm new to this Cisco stuff, not to mention Splunk, so if there is a well-known alternative, please vex me not!

Regards,
Wiley Winter, MCSE
Memphis, TN

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Drainy
Champion

I've been trying to get a proper link for a manual I found but my laptop really doesn't want to play nice, basically I tried cigesm syslog in Google and the first link (for me anyway) was a PDF manual that seems to indicate that it does support syslog. Is this the same device?

A quick search around seems to indicate that similar versions support logging to syslog so it would be odd for it not to.

If it doesn't then I believe there is another piece of software that "some" cisco devices use to gleam some data from them but I'm not particularly familiar with it.
Generally if you can't push from the device natively then you'd try and get a forwarder onto there to handle the push for you.
It might be worth raising a call with Cisco to discuss if you've got an active support contract.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

I've been trying to get a proper link for a manual I found but my laptop really doesn't want to play nice, basically I tried cigesm syslog in Google and the first link (for me anyway) was a PDF manual that seems to indicate that it does support syslog. Is this the same device?

A quick search around seems to indicate that similar versions support logging to syslog so it would be odd for it not to.

If it doesn't then I believe there is another piece of software that "some" cisco devices use to gleam some data from them but I'm not particularly familiar with it.
Generally if you can't push from the device natively then you'd try and get a forwarder onto there to handle the push for you.
It might be worth raising a call with Cisco to discuss if you've got an active support contract.

0 Karma

sigma9r

Drainy,
I suppose I should have followed Sister Mary Linebacker's teachings from 45 years ago to...READ THE BOOK!!!
I found where to configure the switch but it's still not logging.

Thanks for your answer.
Wiley

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...